Group Counselling: Drugs & Alcohol
Group therapy is as effective as individual therapy in treating a range of addiction and psychological issues. The benefits of therapeutic groups are increasingly being recognized in substance abuse and mental health settings.
These therapeutic group settings are not unstructured personal growth groups but rather are short-term groups for specific client populations. These groups are designed to remediate specific problems or to prevent problems, such as trauma, behavioural issues or relapse prevention.
Group Counselling and psycho-educational groups also fit well into today’s managed care scene because they can be brief and directly solution focused treatments.
Within the Canadian Centre for Addictions you will experience 4 major group types. These groups are as follows:
1. Task Groups
- The group has a clear purpose.
- There is a balance of process and content issues.
- There is a climate of cooperation, collaboration, and mutual respect.
- If conflict exists it is addressed.
- Feedback is exchanged in a clear and immediate manner.
- Members are given time to reflect on their work.
2. Psycho-educational Groups
- Managing stress.
- Learning assertiveness.
- Overcoming poly-addiction such as codependency, eating disorders, or gambling.
- Dealing with alcoholic parents.
- Learning anger management skills.
- Managing relationships and ending relationships.
3. Counselling Groups
- Helping people develop more positive attitudes and better interpersonal skills.
- Using the group process to facilitate behaviour change.
- Helping members transfer newly acquired skills and behaviour learned in the group to everyday life.
4. Psychotherapy Groups
- The group worker helps individuals remediate psychological problems.
- People participate in this form of group to help alleviate symptoms of psychological disorders such as depression and anxiety.
- The therapist is interested in creating a climate that fosters understanding and exploration of the problem area.
Give us a call and reclaim your life starting right now.